Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Buying Milk

One of the most frustrating experiences of Taiwan is trying to buy milk at Carrefour. There are always 3-4 ladies who are trying to get you to buy milk- I can't tell if they're hawking a specific brand or a special price or just extolling the virtures of milk in general. They will all ramble at once in Chinese no matter how much I say I can't understand, I want to look for myself, etc.

For a long time I didn't even go in the milk aisle because it was so stressful but it's the only place they sell skim milk so I do it. Tonight I couldn't find the skim and all the ladies were talking to me and pointing out special prices and I was like, you don't have the kind I want, but I don't know how to say skim or pink (the color of the carton) so they couldn't help me. I tried to look more but the one kept standing right behind me and belching continuously. I swear she belched 20 times. It was hard to keep my composure.

The weird thing is, all the salespeople seem to be concentrated in the milk. I looked at cell phones for 20 minutes and no one approached me. Same with furniture, appliances... but for some reason milk is the high-pressure sell.

No comments: