Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thunderstorms

Remember when I said Taiwan seldom gets thunderstorms? I don't know what I was talking about. I think since I said that, we've gotten late-afternoon-thunderstorms about 5 times a week here in Taichung. It also seems like Taipei doesn't get them as often, so there goes (again) the whole Taichung-weather-is-better thing.
And they are some crazy shake-the-building type of thunderstorms. Usually pretty short and they do make for some cool nights. Also good for washing away all the crud in the air & on the ground from people frantically burning ghost money- I think it's the end or the beginning of Ghost Month. The ghost money is doing double-time.

2 comments:

rs.tampa08 said...

I would like to know how much money do you need to get started teaching in Taiwan? I know you have to pay for your flight to Taiwan but what else should you pay for after getting to Taiwan?
Thanks,
Richard

Taiwan-Teacher said...

An apartment, and you would have to pay first months rent and 2 months rent worth of security deposit up front... so about $300 US or so? And a few hundred for a bicycle, basic househould stuff... and you won't get a paycheck for at least a month after you start working. I wouldn't come with less than $1500 US to tide me over but lots come with less and make it.