Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back in the swing of things

Although I'm not working, I'm keeping busy. Most people are on vacation right now for Chinese New Year. I've been out in service, then over to someone's house for lunch. I've also done a couple of cool hikes and a bike ride I'll save for another post.

Today we had a little picnic/ gathering thing with people from my congregation. I joined the sports-playing group with no idea of what we were playing. The first thing turned out to be dodgeball, which I figured out after a few mintues. I made it pretty far because I think everyone was afraid to hit me. :) Eventually a little kid got me when I was paying no attention whatsoever. Then his sister scolded him! But it was OK.

Then we played kickball. Again, I wasn't sure what was going on because they were using a soccer ball, and I though we were setting up goals with these rocks but it turned out to be bases. Fortunately my team was up to bat (kick?) first so I caught on to that, too. They called me the "secret weapon from America."

Then, after a little rest, I taught a few kids how to play monkey in the middle. When I was in the middle I made a particularly great catch and landed in a hole and twisted my ankle. But not too bad I think.

And I have to say, it's so exciting to me that I am invited to do things and I understand both where the thing is and what we'll be doing, without anyone translating for me. Woo-hoo!

No comments: