Saturday, January 17, 2009

Back in the ROC

I arrived safe & sound, and all my stuff in Taiwan is safe & sound.

Just like last time I returned, it seems pretty easy to get back in the swing of things. I've felt relieved that I can still do my normal everyday business in Chinese- I was kind of worried I'd forget, or start pronouncing words with an even worse American accent.

No culture shock except for when I tried to cross the street this morning- as soon as the light turned green I started walking and a scooter had to screech to a halt to avoid hitting me. Reminder in Taiwan: always look where you're going.

The one weird thing is how clean and safe Taiwan seems to be becoming. Apparently they've banned smoking in public places, and there are lots of signs about that, along with signs indicating how you should wear your helmet (actually on your head, with the strap tight, instead of propped behind your head with the strap loose- yes, there are pictures to show you) and something that seems to indicate you shouldn't drink and drive. Before you know it, they'll be telling us to have fewer than 4 people on a scooter at once!

No comments: