Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting old

The wind has died down but it's still rainy here. Like, raining really hard. I thought about going to Carrefour or something if it died down but I have no desire to drive in this. Some other foreign teachers invited me over for pancakes but I already had a theory that anything that's fun after 11 pm is fun before 11 pm, so no need to stay out late. My new theory is that anything that's fun during a typhoon is more fun after a typhoon. If I were stuck inside for days I'm sure I'd go nuts but a day and a half, I can handle.

On somewhat the same subject, this is truly a great place to turn 30. I seriously can barely convince people that I'm 30. Or 31, in Chinese years. Just yesterday a couple I just met discussed how old I am. "18," the husband guessed. "No, she works, so she must be at least 20." Yes, folks, I am at least 20.

I'm getting sick of missing work for typhoon days, though. It's fun at first but we don't get paid for them so that's 4 unpaid days I've had in the past 2 months. And today was a games day for one of my favorite classes- the last games day I will have with them :(. Probably I won't get to play it with them either because the CT will teach the next lesson.

2 comments:

Anamunky said...

Hey Christina!

Looks like I'll be turning 30 in Taiwan, too. Why do you think it's the place to be for this much-ado-about calendar date? hehe... I also look about 7 years younger than I am... I figure it lets me get away with stuff. ; )

BTW, I love that you've got recipes going on. Why "rocket fuel?" Do you go dancing or hiking for marathon lengths of time after that meal?

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Taiwan! I think it's because you don't have all the cultural expectations of back home- you're different so no one asks "Why aren't you married?" (my favorite) And it's kind of a boost to be unable to convince someone you're not 22.
And rocket fuel, I don't know- it was just the name of the original recipe!