Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bad Romance

One of the pasttimes of kids in my school seems to be making horrible noises. For instance, they like to imitate car alarms in a place in the hallway that echoes particularly well. One of my classes likes to make noises that sound like an asthmatic duck gasping for air; the other just likes to sing really high. If you know me, I don't like noise and I don't like high-pitched noises. Thus I am often heard to stay, "Stop making horrible noises!"
Lady Gaga has become the bane of my existence, because somehow all of my students know her songs (and I didn't until some teachers pointed out where my kids were getting their horrible noises from). The thing is they do it almost unconsciously- like there is a lull in the class, some students start chatting, and then some boy whose voice is changing starts up with "gaga oohlala."
Also I guess my students never actually learned the word horrible because I came into the classroom the other day to find this written on the board: "No whorable noises." Well, none of those either, please.

No comments: