Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Fake One

Taiwan is pretty much filled with knock-offs. As I mentioned before, it's hard to find fake Adidas, but you can sure find something with Adidas stripes that says "Asidas."

My students love to joke about these, and mock each other for wearing them, and calling it "Made-in-China." Totally missing the fact that many of their night-market finds were made right here in Taiwan, and that Made in Taiwan isn't exactly the symbol of quality in the developed world (although seriously, it was like 30 years ago that they were famous for exporting junk, and now the only thing you have that was made in Taiwan is your (nice) flat-screen electronics and maybe a (nice) bicycle... but I'll stop defending Taiwan for now)

They told me that at the department store, "If you buy a Made-in-Italy LV, you get a Made-in-China LV for free." At first I thought it was crazy Chinglish but here they were talking about Louis Vuitton bags.

No comments: