Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cracking me up

To distract me from my pain, my classes have been really making me laugh.

Remember that old Ricky Martin song, "Shake your bon-bon"? I didn't either, until one of my little TreeHouse kids starting singing "shake your bum-bum, shake your bum-bum, bum-bum" while shaking his little bum-bum.

Then my cute evening class- first there was a dead cockroach in the classroom but of course the kids said "Teacher! Cockroach!" and I shreeked and one of the boys said, "only cockroach body!" But my fear kind of set the tone for mirth in the class.

We're reading this book called "Making a Mark" about people who did great things, but I can't remember what all these books are called, so I called it "Make Your Mark." Whatever. The kids thought I said, "Make your mom," and kept saying, "make your mom!" and I had no idea what they were talking about. Then the CT pipes in: "No! You can make a baby, but you can't make a mom!" I cracked up. The kids were like "Teacher! Your face is an apple!" (so red)

Then, our story was about Jesse Owens. So I have to teach them how to say Hitler, blonde, Germany, Europeans. And elementary students the world over delight in how that word sounds like you're-a-peein'. I don't find it that funny but when there are 17 kids laughing I start to laugh.

Then I try to explain why Hitler hated Jesse Owens, among other people. (Keep in mind I'm walking like a gimp.) "So would Hitler like you?" "No." "Would Hitler like this guy? (aryan guy in the picture)" "Yes." "Would Hitler like me?" "No." "Why not?"

"Because, Teacher, your walk is so bad!" (ie, you walk so badly). Yes. Exactly.

2 comments:

Pam Osabel - JetSetCitizen said...

Hi!

I work with John Bardos of JetSetCitizen.com and YouCanTeachEnglish.com and we would love to interview you by email to ask you some questions about teaching English in Taiwan. It should only take about 30 minutes of your time and we will promote your interview on Twitter and StumbleUpon. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This really cracked me out because my students say,"Your singing is so bad." or "Your dance is so bad." lol

Nice blog.